Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Snape, Snape, Severus Snape

I have a crush on Snape, the unlikeable villain from Harry Potter. My crush on him was only reaffirmed when the first Harry Potter film came out and Snape was played by Alan Rickman, the guy who generally goes unnoticed in movies while people swoon over his co-stars.
You might remember him from such films as
Robin Hood Prince of Thieves as the Sherrif of Nottingham
Sense and Sensibility as Colonel Brandon
and Truly, Madly, Deeply as the cello playing ghost boyfriend Jamie.

Now, I can't separate out if it is Snape that I have a crush on or Alan Rickman. I just keep wanting to hope that Snape isn't as bad as he appears. I want him to be all sorts of layers of grey and white disguised as black. I feel sorry for him and want to believe that he is misunderstood.
Last night I finished Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince and am starting to lose faith in Snape. I haven't given up on him completely but I don't know if I can have much hope. Today as I neglect my children and shirk my responsibilities to read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows for the first time I will still hope for redemption.


When I went to get the link to this video my sound wasn't working but my kids provided me with a complete soundtrack. Potter Puppet Pals are a laugh and you won't be able to forget the tune.

5 comments:

Mommy Bee said...

Well, I would not go so far as to say that i had a crush on him, but I did believe in him all along. :)

Moose said...

And let us not forget the most important role, Hans Gruber in Die Hard.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1192007680/nm0000889

Afton said...

I beg to differ...Alan Rickman's most important role has to be Sir Alexander Dane in Galaxy Quest.
("By Grabthar's hammer, by the sons of Worvan, you shall be avenged.")

http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi1974010137/

beadiemom said...

I totally agree with you Afton.

beadiemom said...

And of course let's not forget his important role as the voice of Marvin the depressed Robot in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I once happened across a movie that he was in, on the foreign film channel, but it very quickly went in a direction I did not like at all. Older man with jailbait kind of thing.