Tuesday, January 25, 2011

On Target

 This is a copy of my post today at Latter-Day Homeschooling.

I am a very reluctant soccer mom.  I really, really hate taking my kids to and from practices. Games are once a week and I can handle that, unless it is really cold and raining which it often is. I was so unbelievably happy when, last season,  my son's team was assigned the practice field right across the street from our house.  All I had to do was hand him a bottle of water on is way out the door.

Soccer season is but a memory now which leaves us time for really COOL ways to develop our bodies, like archery.
I am a closet archer.  I love bows and arrows, I also like them old school, none of these aluminum compound bows with their wheels and carbon arrows. I like wooden arrows and a beautiful wooden recurve bow, like Robin Hood. Now, I don't approve of Robin Hood. Stealing from the rich to give to the poor? What a thug, however; he had some wicked skills with a bow.  But, I digress. I like a little target practice and I am so happy that both of my boys like it as well.

Our local archery store/shooting range holds homeschool lessons twice a month.  The rate includes rental AND instruction and the cost is significantly less than the regular rental rate without instruction.

If you live in the Portland, Oregon area you are in luck and can come join us at our local range, but if not maybe you could call your local range and see if they have a homeschool plan.  If they don't offer a homeschool time perhaps you might suggest one.

Here are some tips for the archery range:

*Leave the little ones at home.  The shooting range is no place for little who want to run about or hang on mom's skirts.  I find a stitter for kids not old enough (in my opinion) to shoot yet.  Sometimes I offer to take the sitter's older children with me in exchange. 

* Never dry fire a bow (pull back and let go of the string without an arrow in it.) You will get yelled at and it will be embarrassing. Ask me how I know this.

* Talk to the kids beforehand about following instructions.  This is not a time to choose not to obey or listen.  Arrows are dangerous and people who don't follow instructions could get killed.

* Join in.  Archery is good for moms too!

1 comment:

arianne said...

Your dry shooting bit cracked me up. What fun!