Thursday, November 06, 2008

Fabric Rundown - Super Long, Super Crafty.

I have an entire room full of fabric. I try to use up my stash when I can, but sometimes you need to go out and buy the right fabric for a project.
This is a stack of fabric that I think I can use up this winter,
This is 1.5 yds of black pintucked wool. I bought it to make a knee length black skirt to wear with darling cardigan sweaters. I didn't make the skirt because I was worried about the appropriateness of the pintucks. After digging out the fabric, I think it will be fine.
This is 4+ yards of a soft silky knit fabric with silver highlights. It is very slippery. I bought this 6 years ago when I was pregnant with Boba Fett hoping to make the Maternity Dress that was the answer to all pregnancy woes. I did not. I would still like to make a knee length dress with 3/4 sleeves and a cute bodice, but I don't have a pattern or a serger that works. I am afraid of slippery knit.
This is some of my cowboy fabric obsession. You know, the one where when I see cowboy fabric I have to buy it and I do not know why. Well I was thinking Nutmeg and I could use some tiered flouncy skirts that match. But we will NEED cowboy boots with such an endeavor. Something I never thought I would want let alone need. Anyone know how to get some 9 wide brown cowboy boots - cheap?This is some fabric I bought recently to make a stylish skirt. Trouble is I can't decide on a pattern. Do I want to go for the decidedly tricky to cut out and hem bias cut skirt, the trendy yoke skirt for which I do not have a pattern or the tried and true gathered skirt with narrow waistband? Then I saw this pattern McCalls 5631 while looking for McCalls 5531 and said"Wow!"
but the problem is I can't do waistbands, because of where my waist is bands always get crushed and crumpled beyond recognition. I like A with the ties on C but no contrasting band, yes on trim. Ideas?
Next we have this fabric that I just had to have. I was thinking pajama bottoms, but when I got it home I thought - pajama bottoms will not show off the big print to it's advantage. So what to do with it? 2.5 yards.
I have had this plaid flannel for 7 years, original plan- pajama bottoms. Since I am in need I am thinking pajama bottoms again but there is 3+ yards of it I could do something ambitious like a dress, but then is plaid really the right fabric for a dress for a lumpy lady??

And now we have come to the patterns.
This is the coat I will be making. View C with a hood. Check out this example . Long story about how I went to Joann and settled on some ho hum fabric for it and even had it cut but then didn't buy it because I didn't LOVE it and I want to LOVE this coat. So I am planning a trip to Fabric Depot next weekend. Originally I planned flannel with a fabulous lining but now I am wondering if wool (lined fabulously) would be a better choice for the wetness of Portland. But then there is the wash ability factor - would it be TOO warm? And wool is so much more expensive that flannel. I am thinking about mossy green regardless of the fiber. I need advice.

Also I have these patterns that I would like to make but do not have suitable fabric in my stash.

View C
The middle View. I made the other view before the Infamous and Fantastic lime green drapery skirt. I want one in cotton with the ruffles. But I would have to buy more fabric. Ouch!
And the middle view but I am wondering if it would even look good on me. The lines are so classic it could be fabulous but my waist is not narrow it could be a disaster. And I would need to buy fabric.
And so gentle readers, do you have any advice? Opinions? Fabric to donate? Patterns to suggest?

4 comments:

Deirdre said...

How about you make the fabulous 50's dress for me. Just kidding, but I will probably make one of those for myself while I am in florida.

Jenni said...

What would be inappropriate about a pintuck? I'm confused!

Hmm, i'll think about those other things...I rarely buy fabric unless the project is in mind... I think you COULD do that first skirt you showed, just make the waistband a narrow one rather than a wide one...I do that all the time (wide ones fold over on me too...the joy of a small waist and big hips/bust, eh?!)

Jenny said...

Goodness, I wish I had advice to give when it comes to sewing! I still use that wonderful Readers Digest Sewing book you recommended I get and I'm still so newb to sewing! You make amazingly beautiful things and are so talented!

Rebekah Gonzalez said...

ooooooo I love the vintage japanese fabric with the butterflys!