Monday, November 16, 2009

Book Wreath

I have been disappointed with my fall decorations on the new copper red door because they don't show up. Someone suggested a wheat wreath which sounded nice but expensive. Then I found this book page wreath and figured book pages are about the same color as wheat stalks. And so, I began.

(I apologize for the flash but the sun goes down at about noon now days) There wasn't tutorial for this particular wreath so I had to go it on my own. I used a 14" straw wreath as a base and a copy of that horrible book "Wuthering Heights" that is my craft book. I rolled each page and secured with double stick tape, then hot glued bundles of 3 pages and then tied a little black ribbon around each bundle. Cost $3.
Then I tied a fat black ribbon around the top of the wreath and started hot gluing the bundles the best I could.

Mom, suggested that I seal it with some clear acrylic spray but a test page proved my fears - the acrylic makes the pages wet and the ink runs. So I am letting my wreath fend for itself against the wet Portland air.
Here is the finished-ish wreath on the door. It needs a little something and I am not sure what.
Leave your suggestions in the comments please!

3 comments:

Afton said...

A library card? A pair of reading glasses hanging on one of those old lady glasses holders that go around the neck? I love how it turned out.

Gardners Glad Tidings said...

Is there no limit to your awesomeness?

Stepper the Mighty said...

BRILLIANT!

I think it needs a very old fashioned very large black bow. Just there on that bottom right side.

Or perhaps a smattering of the fabric flowers you made for your awesome hair adornment you shared in your other post?