Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Perfidy

Perfidy
Pronunciation:
\ˈpər-fə-dē\
Function:
noun
Inflected Form(s):
plural per·fi·dies
Etymology:
Latin perfidia, from perfidus faithless, from per- detrimental to + fides faith — more at per-, faith
Date:
1592
1 : the quality or state of being faithless or disloyal : treachery 2 : an act or an instance of disloyalty

That is how I feel about the movie The Tale of Despereaux. I can't believe Kate DiCamillo allowed such a hack job of her lovely story. I am hoping she at least was paid an obscene amount of money and had no control over what the studio did.

The themes of love, revenge, and FORGIVENESS were completely lost.

So, please do not see the movie. Read the book, read it again and again. It is an easy book and you can read it aloud to even your little children. They will love it, you will love it.

2 comments:

Ann Agent said...

Its simply a CRIME when the creators of cinema think they must corrupt and destroy stories like that.

Cinematic writers today have no vision, can they can't write anything but junk and they try to make up for their lack of ability by taking great classics and utterly ruining them!

Boycott movies!

Afton said...

Movies are rarely as good as their book counterparts. I'd say NEVER as good, but I haven't seen every single book to movie adaptation, and I felt that "Holes" was done very well, so I have to assume there might be other satisfactory examples out there as well.

I never thought that Despereaux would make a good movie and was surprised to hear they were making it into one because of the large amounts of ear boxing and the heavy themes that sometimes come across better in a read than visually. You know, kids can make their own, age appropriate picture in their mind of what is happening as opposed to getting some Hollywood writer's idea of what is happening in the scene.

An example of this was the ogre scene in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Personally, the scene in the movie freaked me out. That was much scarier than I'd imagined it while reading the book.

Example #2, Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Rings. Oh my, VERY SCARY stuff in the movie. The book was intense, but didn't frighten me nearly as much.

Although I have to say that movie Aragorn was WAY better than what I'd pictured while reading the book. Yay Viggo!