Saturday, February 28, 2009

Saturday Night Cinema

Brief Encounter
Starring: Trevor Howard and Celia Johnson
Director: David Lean
Date : 1945
Based on a Noel Coward play

I have trouble putting into words what I want to say about this film. It is the story of two people who meet and fall in love. They are tempted to have an affair but resist it and voluntarily end it before it goes too far.
I think what I like about this movie it it shows how strong temptations can be and how easy it would be to give into them. That the right thing to do isn't always the easiest or that the right thing sometimes breaks your heart.

I also enjoy the depiction of love at first acquaintance. Sometimes one meets someone and there is just an instant connection. Not love at first sight which is all about chemistry, but a perfect dovetailing of spirits that sometimes can not last.
If you are considering whether or not to let your teens watch this you might want to screen it first as it deals with the idea of adultery. I think it is worth watching because it is a whole story and the characters make the right choices.

No comments: