Saturday, May 02, 2009

Saturday Night Cinema

Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte
Starring: Bette Davis, Olivia deHaviland, Joseph Cotten, Agnes Moorehead
Date: 1964
Director: Robert Aldrich

This is one creepy movie. One of the more disturbing aspects is Bette Davis, she looks creepy, even the photograph of her as a young woman looks creepy, in fact, I think she always looks creepy.

Olivia deHaviland did not look creepy (in fact I think she looked a lot like my Aunt Janie does) but she acts creepy in this film. Even before you see her true colors you start to squirm when you see her on screen, she is so saccharine sweet. I think she did a fantastic job, even if I will never be able to watch Gone With the Wind in the same way.

The most disturbing part is that I can not decide if it is a broken story or not. I feel happy that it ended the way it did, but I feel bad for feeling that way,

There is some hilarious blood and gore and one bad word. And will someone PLEASE cut that crazy long hair on Agnes Moorehead's wig?

4 out of 7 thimbles.

No comments: