Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Spooky Tales


It was our Annual Spooky Stories and Carmel Apples Night last night. We invited Los Dominguez and Luke. This year we simply sliced the apples and poured the carmel on top since last years melon ball experiment didn't work like we had hoped. We melted the Carmel candies in the double boiler with some marshmallows and cream. Success!

Commander C and Jonah told the same story trying to one up each other, Spencer told of a spider with long legs and Laura told a timely tale about the mortgage crisis. I told The Owl Witch and a story I found in a book but I changed the names to people we knew to make it scarier.

Last year I recommended this story by Elizabeth Gaskell. I liked it so much that I bought a copy of Elizabeth Gaskell's Gothic Tales and saved it to read this October. Now I have a new tale to recommend. It isn't really a ghost story like "The Old Nurses Tale" but "The Grey Woman" involves deception, a spooky castle and a brigand!

There are other good stories in Gothic Tales some more suspenseful than others. For example with the title of "Lois the Witch" set in 17th century Salem you KNOW how the story is going to turn out.

Six out of Seven thimbles for "Gothic Tales."

No comments: