Monday, September 15, 2008

Boba Fett Fears Obama


A couple of months ago the boys and some friends were playing upstairs. Somehow the topic of conversation turned serious because Boba Fett came downstairs crying with a look of terror in his eyes.
"Mom," he sobbed " if Obama becomes president it will be a really bad country." and he looked at me with the "Mom, please tell me it isn't true." look.

What could I say? I WANTED to tell him it wasn't true but I also have a policy of not lying to my children.

The tears kept coming as he told me he was afraid of Obama. I could honestly tell him that I didn't think he was a bad man, and he wasn't mean, that his policies were just woefully misguided and completely unprovided for in the constitution and against the values our country was founded on.

"But Mom, I just don't want him to come here to Oregon!" more tears. Have I mentioned that Boba Fett's tears are freakishly large and his glasses magnify his eyes and when whose thick dark lashes are wet it is almost unbearable?
"Well, Honey, He's already been here to Oregon."
"What?!?!?!" complete meltdown.

Later, sitting down at the table nursing a snack and beverage he told me "Mom, I just don't want there to be bad countries." Oh, children! Out of the mouths of babes! The wish of people all over the world for millenia. How can I tell him?

"There are bad countries honey. The people in them aren't all bad but sometimes the countries do bad things. That is why we need to make sure our country doesn't become one. That is why you need to work so hard to find your mission and do what Heavenly Father has planned for you to do. So you can change the world and be a leader, and fight for good."

God bless America.
Proclaim Liberty throughout the land.
(I just received a box of 200 copies of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence from the Heritage Foundation. I am giving them to everyone I meet.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have 4 children, ages 5, 3, and twin 15 month olds. My 5 year old is the only one with any understanding of what a presidential election means, and now that Obama has been coronated by the media, I mean, elected... I'm trying to think of a way to break it to her (haven't told her yet). Thank you for sharing.