Wednesday, March 03, 2010

El Hombre de Leche

The milkman and I have an understanding. I leave the bottles, order slip and check in the cooler and he leaves me milk. We do not communicate or have any interaction. If I see him walking to the door I go to another room so we won't have any accidental eye contact.

Today I saw him park in front of the house and realized I hadn't put the check into the cooler so I ran out to give it to him. I had to awkwardly say words to him about him needing a check. A few moments later there was a knock on the door. It was the milkman. I left two slips in the cooler which one did I want? I attempted to communicate that I wanted the order on the blue slip. He nodded and I closed the door wondering why I suddenly lost the ability to speak the words in my head. I was flustered. Then I realized I had made a mistake when filling out the order form and I had to go talk to the milk man. Again.

"I didn't want that much milk, I wrote it wrong." I blurted out. "I didn't give you enough money for that" pointing to a half gallon bottle.

"You can pay me next week." he says

"No," I had to explain "We have too much milk already." Thinking of the 3 unopened bottles in my fridge rapidly on their way to spoiling.

"Oh. OK." He hoisted up the crate of empties and the offending bottle and walked away.

He probably thinks I am not very smart.

1 comment:

I-Shüan said...

It's just cool that you have a milkman!