Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Eating From the Bunker: Day 1

Day 1 went by pretty easily.

Toast and bagels with cream cheese for Breakfast, Mac and Cheese for lunch.

Dinner: Carne Asada Steak for dinner with beans, lettuce, guacamole, cheese, and Tortillas.

Dessert: Mahana, You Ugly Jello a housewarming gift from Afton

Snack: Fresh homemade bread with peanut butter and honey. Ritz Crackers, granola bars

In a real emergency what would this be like? I guess it depends on whether or not we have electricity. If I have a functioning fridge and freezer life is fine, if not things get tougher. Dairy, meats and vegetables stop lasting as long.

Do I have access to milk? We do live in a rural area and there are milk cows in the neighborhood.... I know how to make ice cream and know that I could make cream cheese and cottage cheese if I needed to.

Late in the evening I got a craving for Nutella, as it happens I don't have any in the house but I have a recipe for homemade Chocolate Hazelnut Spread.

Angy Chicken posted about making homemade bagels this week.

Moose and I discussed that while we have 2 wood burning fireplaces, how would we cook over the fire if there wasn't electricity? I have some cast iron skillets and a dutch oven but always use them on my stove. Practice might be required. We don't have any fuel in our storage yet. Give us a a break, we just moved in 2 weeks ago.

No comments: