Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Eating From the Bunker: Day 2

Yesterday is kind of a blur for me as I spent to morning driving to the other side of the moon (the east side of town) to pick up some commissions and the afternoon was spent in a daze of numbness followed by pain. I went to the dentist to get a temporary crown and I needed 4 shots of anesthetic before I was numb. That much juice takes a while to wear off and then my jaw was sore and the actual tooth in question was so sore. I didn't think I was going to make it.

My poor family.

I'll let you in on a little secret, I am REALLY testy when my mouth hurts. Actually, it isn't much of a secret, many of you may have known me back when I used to get canker sores ALL THE TIME (thank YOU sodium laurel sulfates/sulfides) or when my wisdom teeth were grating off the insides of my cheeks. Lately however, the pain has been only when I am actually eating so my crankiness has been replaced with longing looks and sadness at the treats I dare not eat.

The good news is that in 2 weeks I should be able to eat again and be 90% mercury free. Also, this morning, I woke up with no mouth pain.

But back to the Food Storage Challenge.

I did dig into my homeopathic kit (which is part of my storage) to get some arnica for my sore jaw.

From what I can remember of yesterday we had homemade bread made into toast with peanut butter for breakfast as well as cereal with rice milk. Lunch was left overs and Organic Creamy Tomato Soup from Trader Joe's, and for dinner the remains of a bag of popcorn chicken (which I never buy but when one moves house convenience moves up the priority line) homemade ranch dip, and leftovers.

For dessert I needed something to take me to chocolate heaven but I also needed to be able to eat without chewing so it was Chocolate bread pudding again. I love that stuff.

I also made another loaf of bread for today's snacking. This doesn't fall into the challenge, but on Saturday, we made home made butter and it was delicious!

Frankly, I think that this 6 day challenge will be the easy part. What I am more concerned about is long term situation where I won't be able to rely on what was already in my fridge when the disaster struck. My friend Debbie has challenged her family to a month of eating from the bunker a few times, I think that is the real challenge.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I'm not really sure how I came across your blog but here I am! :D I'm a former LDS member.. going to sacrament this Sunday for the first time in a really long time. Anyway, I just wanted to say hi. I hope your food storage challenge is going well. I have a good 'mostly' food storage recipe for pot pie if you want to give it a try sometime, just let me know! My blog is private but if you'd like an invite just email me at bethmoody1978@gmail.com with your email addy and I'll add you. Take care, Beth