Thursday, February 28, 2008

February Reading List

I have started reading again as knitting season is in the Pro-bowl state.

Read this month:
Ivanhoe - By Sir Walter Scott - For TJEd discussion group. Liked it, really liked it, but thought that is was too long. Why is this book called "Ivanhoe"? It should be called "Rebecca" or "Superbad knights from Merry Old England, Their Cohorts and Their Ladies"

Instead of Education - by John Holt for a different discussion Group. Good stuff. Down with S-chools, hooray for homeschools, s-chools unite!

Persepolis - By Marjane Satropi
A touch of misguided communism in appealing comic book form. Interesting look and the Iran of the late 70's early 80's. I don't know much about the topic so I was unable to compare it with anything else. Iranians are people too - their leaders are a little bit ...off. Recommended reading takes 2 hours tops.

Currenty reading:

Teach the Children - by Neal Flinders
Good, but I find it frustrating to read books that want to advocate homeschooling but can't because they were written before homeschooling became acceptable so they focus on fixing the broken and unfix-able public school machine. (Also my only criticism of Instead of Education - just tell us to Homeschool!)

The Merry Adventures of Robing Hood - By Howard Pyle
I inherited this bedtime story book because Moose does not like reading Pyle. I now know why
"Speak the speech, I pray you, as I pronounced it to you, trippingly on the tongue." is nothing to the prose of Pyle. Luckily I have a background in Shakespeare and I can barrel through fancy language with some ease. I am probably reading it too fast, I always read aloud very quickly.
Question: Is Robin Hood a good role model? He is a criminal, how do I work this into a leadership education? Commander C is lapping it up and thus so I continue.

The Book of Mormon:
Totally doing this in fits and starts, like 15 chapters on Sunday, 3 on Wednesday and guilt the other 5 days of the week. I am highlighting in green with my new fancy scripture marker all the verses that are examples on how and what to teach one's Children.

To be read:
Mary Barton - Elisabeth Gaskell (for fun)
The Phantom Tollbooth - Norton Juster (for Commonwealth)
God's Politics - By Jim Wallis (for TJEd discussion group) this will prove thought provoking, thus far I am not agreeing with the author.

No comments: