Monday, March 03, 2008

Ok, so I like SOME poetry

Mi amiga takes exception to my feeling for flowery rhymes I seek to vindicate myself.
I really appreciate carefully crafted prose. If you want to say something just say already quit pussyfooting around it like a wimpy old lady. I am aware that this is a shocking revelation in my personality, it shocks me too. A girl who likes period dramas and embroidery would seemingly be a fool for poetry. I, however; skip whole sections of books where a poem or song is retold. I do like some poetry like the kind that don't use sentences but just string words or phrases together.

Here is poetry I can handle

So much depends
upon

a red wheel
barrow

glazed with rain
water

beside the white
chickens.
-William Carlos Williams

Edna St. Vincent Millay
Haiku ( I really love haiku)
The Highwayman - Noyes
and I can indeed enjoy a rhymed couplet (they aren't long enough to make me glaze over)

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Don't tell Keira...but I'm not a huge fan of the genre either. I'm with you on the "just say what you mean".

Keira said...

Love the reply, I
Like picking fights over a
Dead white guy, et. al.

P.S. I skipped all that awful drivel in Lord of the Rings--was it supposed to inspire or just be lame. And really, this just gave me an excuse to quote Banjo.