Friday, January 30, 2009

January Reading List


The Communist Manifesto - Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels
We read this for our book group to see what all the fuss was about. It was surprising to learn that the Argument made in part 1 is very sensible. I agreed with it. Part 2 was the solution to part 1 and that is where I started thinking COO KOO! Dissolving the family, community of women, abolition of personal property??? These guys were nuts. Part 3, man these guys had a beef with Germany.
This is a bent book.
3 out of 7 thimbles. 3 because they made convincing arguments even though the solutions were ludicrous.

The Secret Life of Bees - Gina Prince-Bythewood
I got this book for free and again, I thought I would see what all the fuss was about.
Very interesting and compelling story about coming of age, mothers and daughters, race relations in the South. It made me appreciate my daughter and my mother.
I learned much about bees. This book made me crave honey.
I liked it, but for a Mormon, this book is alarmingly sacrilegious and laden with idolatry. Perfect example of what can happen when people are left to religion on their own without a prophet and proper authority.
4 out of 7 thimbles.

The Keeper of the Bees- by Gene Stratton -Porter
In this book you will learn much about bees, but that is only the beginning of it. I loved this book.
You didn't know what was going to happen next. In the beginning each new chapter changed the story completely. The characters are lovable. READ THIS BOOK. It is so lovely, healing, whole and good.
This book would be a perfect 7 but it was a tad predictable and a little, no a lot, preachy.
6 out of 7 thimbles.

Currently Reading:
The Secret Garden- Frances Hodgson Burnett

I am reading this to Nutmeg at night.

Up Next :
Washington Square by Henry James

1 comment:

Keira said...

I've never red Washington Square but I love The Heiress with Olivia De Havilland that is based on that. She runs the whole gamut of emotions.

I must love you because I'm typing this with one hand...