Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Making the Season Bright

My tree is up, the house is decorated and for the first time in nearly a decade I do not have all of the gifts purchased before December. But I am ready, oh, so ready for December, for a month of looking at the lights on the tree and getting lost in thoughts.   I am ready to sing the familiar songs that make my soul rejoice.  I am ready bundle up and stay put. I am ready for a month of reflection of thinking about the gifts god has given us and searching for a map of the path ahead of me.


I, like Jocelyn at We Talk of Christ, We Rejoice in Christ, am looking for a way to teach my children that Christmas is more than the gifts under the tree and watching How the Grinch Stole Christmas 500 times.  To teach them that Christmas is about service, love, family and Christ.

I don't know what it is going to look like yet but I know that I am going to let them choose who we serve and how. It will also be inexpensive, we have had a lot of major expenses come up this last fortnight and the giving will have to come from the heart not the wallet.


Do you have any ideas for me?  What are you doing this month to teach your children about the gifts that matter?






This message from President Monson might yeild some ideas.

2 comments:

Afton said...

This will be the first year we have done this, but I read a story about service out of the Friend Magazine last night and then showed the kids a little christmas box that would be passed around the family all through december as we did service for one another. We decided that we would write a note and put it in the box to say what we did for the other person in case the service might not be obvious. When you got the box, you were to find some way to serve someone else to pass it on.

Jocelyn Christensen said...

We're starting to get a plan underway...I believe we'll be visiting the elderly at the assisted living community just around the corner from us every day...and the books we'll read are about giving of ourselves at Christmas....I'll keep you posted! You'll find the answer, I'm sure!