Monday, October 06, 2008

New Baby Quandry

When someone in the ward has a baby I try to give them a little space to adjust to the new baby before calling of dropping by to see the baby. In fact I usually drop off my gift and peek quickly at the baby and leave, not wanting to be an imposition. Often I don't drop by at all just wait until the baby shows up at church. I really, desperately want to see the baby and offer my congratulations but I am afraid of overstaying my welcome and adding another care to the new mom.
I was thinking about the ongoing baby explosion in our ward and I realized that I might be wrong in this approach. When I had my babies I LOVED visitors, I craved visitors, I wanted to show off my baby to the whole world. When in the hospital with Commander C I was so touched by the people who came all the way to the hospital to visit. I felt like they really cared about me. With Boba Fett and Nutmeg I was so proud of having them at home that after the first 24 hours I was ready to have an open hosue. I remember everyone who came for a visit, I remember feeling a little sad that people I thought were my friends did not come by.

So, I put the question to you gentle reader, do you appreciate visits after you have a baby or want people to give you your space? I am adding a poll to the right of this post and welcome comments as well.

4 comments:

Keira said...

I'm kinda a "space" gal. I don't go into a bunker at church (I love getting back to church and showing El Nino off) but the days after I get home are totally shirt-open-about-to-nurse-haven't-bathed-yet days and seeing real people is a chore.

That said, you are one of the few people I'd see anytime.

Erika said...

If you are dropping off a meal, you have the right to ooooh and awwww over my new baby and if you bring kids that will play with my older ones, then you can stay longer. If we are close friends then you can assume that nothing has changed and you may come over for game nights as usual. Just don't expect a clean house and don't expect me to remember to offer you a drink, like I said, nothing has changed.

Jenny said...

I love it when people call first and let me know they want to see me and my little one. Especially if it is a good friend, I would feel back if they didn't come by. As you know I have 4 kiddo's, I loved visitors and knew that if I couldn't handle a visitor, then D would help while I rested. With my first, I felt I needed more space and worried a lot more about germs and needig time to look presentable myself. I think a phone call is always good etiquette, that alone shows you care and are anxious to help and see that new little one.

Raspberry Leaf said...

I like visitors mostly.