Friday, October 03, 2008

October Means Pumpkins

I just love October, the crisp fall air, the leaves turning colors, apples, costumes, wearing your cute fall clothes, knitting season and of course pumpkins.

We eat a lot of pumpkin around here. I usually buy about 10 sugar pie pumpkins and make my own puree, one day I will can the puree instead of freezing it. We like my special Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Oat cookies, pumpkin pie, pumpkin chili, pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin bread and as of yesterday, pumpkin muffins. (Sorry Keira I don't think you can have any.)
We tried this recipe from Granola Mom over at Natural Mommy.
I think she left out the ginger on the ingredient list so add some ginger. Boba Fett noticed that they would go nice with milk and now insists on having milk with each muffin, so stock up on the milk.
Pumpkin Muffins
INGREDIENTS
1 (15 ounce) can 100% pure pumpkin
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup dark brown sugar (use your sweetener of choice - I used organic cane brown sugar)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs, lightly beaten (I used 2 T. Ground Flax and 6 T. hot water to replace)
2 cups flour of choice (I used 1 1/2 Cup Gluten-Free Flour Blend and 1/2 Rice Bran- let me know if you want a recipe for the GF Flour Blend)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt

DIRECTIONS
Adjust oven rack to center position and heat oven to 425 degrees (350 for large muffins). Spray 36 mini-muffin cups with vegetable cooking spray (Or large Muffins cups).
Bring pumpkin, ginger, cinnamon and cloves to a simmer in a medium saucepan until puree thickens enough to start sticking to pan bottom, 6 to 8 minutes. Turn hot puree into a bowl. Whisk in brown sugar and oil, then slowly beat in eggs.
Meanwhile, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl; whisk into pumpkin mixture until just combined.
Divide batter among the muffin cups and bake until golden and cooked through, about 10 minutes for mini - 15-25 for Large Muffins (the tops should be cracking a bit). Let stand a few minutes, then transfer mini-muffins to a wire rack to cool.

No comments: