Sunday, March 01, 2009

February Reading List


Washington Square - Henry James
We read this for our book discussion group. We were not impressed. A broken book. Depressing, no one grew or changed for the better. Stagnant, sad that is all I want to say about it.
2 out of 7 thimbles

The Third Man - Graham Green
Inspiered to read after watching the film of the same title. I liked it almost as much as I liked the movie. I learned a little more about post-war Vienna.

5 out of 7 thimbles

Loser Takes All- Graham Green
This was in the same volume as The Third Man so I figured that I might as well read it. Cute story about gambling, love, not relying on big wigs and what is more important than money.
5 out of 7 thimbles

The Secret Garden - Frances Hogsdon Burnett
This was never one of my favorites. I liked it alright and figured I should give it another read. It is an okay read. Inspiring in the gardening and communing with nature area and in the positive attitude idea. I really don't like the last chapter. I remember Dickon being cooler. Definitely a children's book.

Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens
Inspired to read after watching the latest Masterpiece Theatre treatment. Very good book, best I read all month. Twisting and turning, orphans and villains, fantastic coincidences and happy endings, typical Dickens.

6 out of 7 thimbles

(BTW : I really enjoyed the Masterpiece treatment even though they took wild liberties with the plot. The characters were all so sympathetic, and Oliver was so adorable.)

No comments: