Saturday, August 15, 2009

Saturday Night Cinema

Last night we went to a movie in the park. It was magical, it was The Wizard of Oz. Watching it on a large movie screen with an audience and my children seeing it for the first time was amazing. I have never been crazy about The Wizard of Oz before, I liked it alright but nothing special. But last night was extraordinary. The audience cheered each time Toto escaped the Miss Gulch/the Wicked Witch of the West, clapped at the end of songs and after every performance of the Cowardly Lion. Boba Fett and Nutmeg were entranced.
The Wizard of Oz
Date: 1939
Starring: Judy Garland
Directed by: Victor Flemming

This film won 2 Oscars in 1939 for Original Song and Original Song. It was up for several other things but it was competing with Gone With the Wind. Judy Garland's baby talk is a bit irritating but she is a competent actress at only 16 years, and I thank my luck stars a million times that they didn't choose Shirley Temple for the role as originally planned. I can't think of anyone more annoying than Shirley Temple and her baby talk (except John Malcovich) The role of The Cowardly Lion played by Bert Lahr is outstanding. I think he was my favorite character last night. The costumes are really quite brilliant.

Watch The Wizard of Oz again. Sit still and don't get up and if possible watch it with a child who has never seen it before.

6.5 out of 7 thimbles

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

where did you go to watch the movie outside at the park? I am super jealous!! And your embroidered pillow cases are darling, if only i had known you when we were getting married!! We should get together and make hair things sometime.