Friday, August 28, 2009

Show Off Week -Buttoned Up

Two years ago I found this project over at Craftster. Craftster used to be my #1 website and I lurked over there all day long. Then my computer started not being able to handle the website and I gave up all together. Which is really, a good thing because the thing about Craftster is that you can have a plan for your day and within one single click you find yourself plotting and even halfway through a craft that ends up taking over your day and possessing your life until you have made one. Case in Point this dress made out of a men's button up shirt.
Of course I whipped one up for my little Nutmeg immediately. I scored at Goodwill and found a pink striped shirt and hot pink pleated trim at Joann. (These are the only pictures I can find with her in it.)
This summer I mentioned that Nutmeg didn't have anything to sleep in for the summer and Moose reminded me of this dress so we went together to Goodwill and picked out some shirts, went home and got to work.
First, we have a United Colors of Benetton Blue, purple, and lime striped shirt with periwinkle pleated trim. The colors are a little more vivid in person and we all know Nutmeg usually looks happier for the camera.
Next this white, blue and chocolate striped shirt from Old Navy with chocolate rick-rack trim and hem.
My favorite part of this dress is that I kept the pocket in the Back and trimmed it too! Unfortunately, I didn't finish off the rick-rack well enough and I noticed some fraying after washing which I hope to be able to fix without too much trouble.

The only thing I don't like about these dresses is that one day Nutmeg will be too big to fit into a reconstructed men's dress shirt.

4 comments:

Shawnel said...

you had better make audrey some too. She also has nothing to sleep in.

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

Oh, they are so cute!! I love repurposing projects like this. They can be so addicting! :-)

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Wow! That is awesome! I think you need to post a tutorial!

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Never mind! I found the tutorial!