Saturday, September 04, 2010

What's in Your Purse?

Grandma and Grandpa took us to the zoo yesterday. Nutmeg took the camera along and wore it across one shoulder along with her leopard print purse because she was going to be an "explorer." The best part was that she was wearing khaki Bermuda shorts and a white shirt and only needed a safari hat to complete the look. There was a safari hat for sale in the gift shop but I am sure you know how zoo gift shop prices are. It was so fun to see her digging out the camera to take a picture.

Last night Moose and I took a look at the memory card.
There were a lot of useless this-is-what-you-get-when-you-give-a-4-year-old-a-camera pictures
but there were also these:

It made me realize how she sees the world, a world made for big people. No wonder she keeps growing up so fast, she needs to get where the action is.
And then there was this picture:
You might look at this and think it is just a picture of my rear end, and it is, but it brought to mind so many things:
This is what I look like to my daughter.
She is literally looking up to me, she is probably looking up to me figuratively as well.
When I walk ahead of her I think I am leading the way but does she think I am walking away? Leaving her behind?
Is this just a picture of my backside?
I took this picture, it is the contents of Nutmeg's leopard print purse dumped onto a bench made of Redwood in a hasty search for quarters to put in the gumball machines . I just thought it was so cute. 4 pennies, the jar I bought for 25 cents for her to use as a jam jar in her play kitchen (but no matter how many times I put it on the little kitchen shelf I find it used as a container to store things like the plastic ladybug that is inside in this photo), and a bunch of acorns.

I can just imagine her packing her purse.
Money? Check.
Jam jar with a lady bug? Check.
Acorns? Check.

Then I remember where she must have found those acorns.
I put them on the desk in the dining room.
I love acorns and I pick them up whenever I see one.
I put them on the desk the other day when I was cleaning out MY PURSE.
I carry acorns in my purse.

They are always watching. What a blessing, what a responsibility! I am so humbled that the Lord trusted me with such a sacred responsibility.

3 comments:

Jocelyn Christensen said...

This is so sweet and cute! Wonderful insights about your BEHIND! :)LOL...I'm sure that's why my daughter freaks out so much when I walk two steps ahead of her. She either doesn't like the view or it looks like I'm leaving her...not leading her. Thanks for this!

Anonymous said...

I love this post! What a lesson on perspective. ☺

joy said...

Darling post! Thank you! Love, Joy