Saturday, July 11, 2009

Saturday Night Cinema

Gone With The Wind
Starring: Vivien Leigh, Clark Gable, Olivia de Havilland and Leslie Howard
Directed by: Victor Fleming
Date: 1939

This is the film that fueled my adolescence, a scary thought, I know, but a woman can get a lot of tips, good and bad, from Scarlett O'Hara.

This film ranks as AFI's #4 best film ever. And why not? It has costumes, passion, war, accents and women who don't care about their reputation. It has blockade running, and epic score and the Virginia Reel.

This is the only movie I like Clark Gable in; I think he is a little goofy looking, but not in Gone With the Wind, oh no.

Vivien Leigh is amazing, it's no wonder the greatest actor ever fell in love with and married her.

I hope you have seen this already, if not you should make no delay in doing so. This movie is the definition of iconic. There have been countless books, and articles and whole movies made about the making of this movie. It is a long movie at 238 minutes but there is a nice intermission.

One of my favorite lines is this: "No, I don't think I will kiss you, although you need kissing, badly. That's what's wrong with you. You should be kissed and often, and by someone who knows how. "
7 out of 7 thimbles

No comments: