Friday, September 11, 2009

Balancing Remembrance and Joy


It has been a bittersweet day around here. It seems as though people are more determined to remember the events of September 11, 2001 this year, for which I am grateful. It hurts me deeply to think that people might forget.

Today, I told the children through tears what happened that day and we watched a few videos on Youtube. Boba Fett, always the thoughtful one, came to me about 30 minutes later and said "Mom, you know what I would do if I were one of those people and had time? I would be praying." What a sweet simple faith. I told him that is the exact thing to do, that Heavenly Father if he couldn't protect him would give him courage and peace and his family that same peace.

Last year I blogged about Boba Fett's Birth 6 years ago and 2 years after 9/11. Today I hesitated to ruin his special day with thoughts of sadness and evil. I told him that he was to have a fun day today and not to think about it anymore - he could think about it tomorrow. You only turn 6 once.

I am also sad as my boy turns six because five is one of my favorite ages. I adore five, it is a sweet reward after enduring three and four. Six is a fine age but I miss the sweetness and innocence of five. Five seems to be the last year that a boy feels like a 'little" boy.

I am excited for him to continue to grow and progress because I have always known that he has a special and great mission on this earth. I don't know what it is but I know that it is important. It struck me today that perhaps his birthdate will be symbolic for that mission.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

Okay, this post made me almost weepy. I love 5's too. And your new blog does look awesome. You are such a cute lady. When do you want to get together this week?