Monday, January 25, 2010

I'll Start

It is that time of year again, the time where I stop cooking meals for my family from lack of interest. All of my meals seem ho-hum and nothing sounds good. We start subsisting on toast and chips and salsa. It has become pretty bleak. Today I managed to rally and prepare dinner.

I thought I would share my recipe with you and in return you can share a recipe with me. Here are the criteria It needs to be a recipe that you come back to over and over again, a meal that has become a staple in your meal rotation, it needs to be healthy-ish (whole food not processed junk) it is easy to make and 2/3 of your family will eat it. I am deferring to the realist in me I don't ask for 100% I know that the only meal that makes everyone happy is Pizza.
Post the recipe in the comments of this post OR post a link to your post with a recipe on your blog.

Samurai Mom's Enchiladas or Almost Everything Came from Trader Joe's Enchiladas.
1 Package Flour tortillas
1 lb Ground meat ( I use Buffalo you can use beef or elk or whatever)
1 16 oz can of refried beans ( I am particular about my frijoles refritos and use Rosarita No Fat Traditional and will continue until I find something that tastes the same or better.)
1 small can sliced olives (optional)
1 jar Salsa Verde (Trader Joe's but I am sure any brand will do.)
1 Jar Trader Joe's Enchilada Sauce (red)
Cheese

First, cook up the buffalo. I always add dried onions to my meat and then set half of the meat mix aside on a container to use for another day. Second, dump in the refried beans and 1/2 to 1 whole jar of salsa verde. Stir and add olives if desired.

Then slap a spoon or two of the filling into a tortilla and roll it up and place it in a 9x11 baking dish. Repeat for until tortillas or filling are used up. Usually this is the right amount to fill all 10 tortillas in the Trader Joes Flour Tortilla package.

Pour the enchilada sauce over the enchiladas and sprinkle cheese on top. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 min or so.

I always put a few enchiladas in a separate dish and bake without cheese for Nutmeg since she can't have cheese. Sometimes her dish is a little dry and I put some salsa verde on top to moisten.

You can also cooka double batch and freeze the filling or the pan of enchiladas.

Easy, yes?

3 comments:

Samurai Mom said...

From Samurai Mom's friend Sara

I tried to post this to your blog. I guess my interwebz :) is messed up, bc I cannot post. Anyway, most of my family likes this. I leave out the tomato and lemon juice. Best part, you only dirty on pot, and have enough for leftovers. Hope you try it sometime. (oh, and we do not like spicy food, but I do use the red pepper, it gives it just enough spice to make it interesting.)

Skillet Chicken with Broccoli, Pasta, and Parmesan Cheese
adapted from The Best Skillet Recipes


2-3 boneless, skinless breasts, cut into 1-inch squares
Table salt and ground black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, minced
4 medium cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
12 ounces ziti (penne makes a great substitution - I've used both with great results)
4 1/4 cups water
2 1/2 cups low-sodium broth
4-5 cups broccoli florets (depending on how much broccoli you want)
1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, rinsed and chopped coarse
3/4 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (asiago was the cheese in the original recipe and can be interchanged, but I always have parmesan on hand so I used that)
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Season the with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add the in a single layer and cook for 1 minute without stirring. Stir the and continue to cook until most, but not all, of the pink color has disappeared and the is lightly browned around the edges, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Transfer the to a clean bowl and set aside.

Add the remaining tablespoon of oil, onion, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the skillet. Return the skillet to medium-high heat and cook, stirring often, until the onion is softened, 2 to 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, oregano, and pepper flakes, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

Add the pasta, 3 cups of the water, and the broth. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until the liquid is very thick and syrupy and almost completely absorbed, 12 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the broccoli, sun-dried tomatoes, and the remaining 1 1/4 cups water. Cover, reduce the heat to medium, and cook until the broccoli turns bright green and is almost tender, 2-3 minutes.

Uncover and return the heat to medium-high. Stir in the cream, parmesan, and reserved with any accumulated juices and continue to simmer, uncovered, until the sauce is thickened and the is cooked and heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Off the heat, stir in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve, passing more grated parmesan at the table, if desired.

Samurai Mom said...

from Samurai Mom's friend Heidi

Totally easy, totally yummy!

Italian Cream Cheese
Crock Pot Chicken

1 (.7oz) envelope Italian
dressing mix

¼ cup butter

1 can chicken broth

1 can cream of chicken soup

1 (8oz) package of cream
cheese

2-4 lb chicken tenders

Melt butter in crock
pot. Stir in Italian dressing mix. Place chicken in crock pot and stir to coat
the chic...ken with dressing/butter mixture.
Add soup and broth. Add the cream
cheese during the last hour or so of cooking.
Cook on high for 4 hours. Serve
with noodles, rice or mash potatoes.

I have tried putting the
cream cheese in at the beginning and the end.
It will work both ways. It does
take some time for the cream cheese to soften.
It does need some stirring to help it mix well.

Jenny said...

very ez! Looks yummy!