Monday, November 17, 2008

In Memorium

Violet the Kenmore sewing machine was made in Japan before I was born. She was a lovely shade of vintage mint green and I am sure made an anti-feminist housewife very happy when her husband bought it for her. Not much is known about her early life except that in her youth she sewed through some one's finger, but I like to think she had been abused and that is why she did it.
After she sewed through some one's finger she was left with the injured person's roommate who many years later sold her to me for $50.
It was love at first sight. Violet had more than 50 attachments, cams, monogramming plates and automatic buttonhole feature and many, many feet.
Violet sewed Nutmeg's purple and black dress (my piece de resistance), Little Red Riding Hood , the Smocked Easter dress and the Petite Blythe wardrobes of 2007-8.
Violet met a violent end when Nutmeg pulled her off of the sewing machine table because the cord was wrapped around the leg of a chair she was moving.
I wish we had pictures of all the fun times we had together. Remember the time I thought she needed an expensive repair and I fixed her myself? We are hoping for a resurrection but there was a broken piece of metal involved. If you know of a organ donor we would gratefully appreciate to donation.
-Heart brokenly,
Samurai Mom aka Sewing Dervish.

3 comments:

Afton said...

So sad for Violet. My only suggestion would be to post something on craigslist. You never know.

I had a sewing machine go through my finger once, but now that I think of it, she was definitely being abused. Forced to finish halloween pirate shirts while the kids were in the car waiting ready to be driven to the Intel Family Halloween party. I'm sure it was in self defense when her needle went through my finger. Ouch!

But you know, a little bit of blood just added to the pirate shirt's authenticity...or so I told son.

Keira said...

I need to name my vintage, steel behemoth...Violet will be missed.

Samurai Mom said...

Yeah, yeah rub it in Kiera. You STILL have your machine AND you get to name your new baby too.

Sorry, I am so surly but I am distressed.