Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Sewing Machine Meme


Oooh sewing machine meme over at Sew, Mama, Sew! I'm in.

What brand and model do you have? Kenmore 158.18020 (circa 1973 ish?)

How long have you had it? 2 years

How much does that machine cost (approximately)? $50 on Craigslist!

What types of things do you sew (i.e. quilting, clothing, handbags, home dec projects, etc.)? a little of everything, a lot of professional quality costumes very little quilting.

How much do you sew? How much wear and tear does the machine get?

I am a binge sewer. She will sit untouched for weeks and then get heavy usage for a week and then be left alone again.

Do you like/love/hate your machine? Are you ambivalent? Passionate? Does she have a name?

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! Very passionate. I love her mint green vintage-y-ness. Her name is Violet.

What features does your machine have that work well for you?

Automatic buttonhole, tons of stitch functions, she is sturdy and can go through more than 4 layers of fabric! All metal parts baby!

Is there anything that drives you nuts about your machine?

I do wish that there were larger automatic button holes and there is not a free arm so narrow projects can get tricky.

Do you have a great story to share about your machine (i.e., Found it under the Christmas tree? Dropped it on the kitchen floor? Sewed your fingernail to your zipper?, Got it from your Great Grandma?, etc.!)? We want to hear it!

I bought her and more than 50 attachments for $50 on Craigslist. I knew it is the one I wanted because a friend has one that she has been using since the early 70's and loves it.

Last summer I accidentally knocked her off the table and broke a big metal piece. I was bereft, sobbing, thought she was a goner, but she lived!

Would you recommend the machine to others? Why?

Well, yes, because I love her so much.

What factors do you think are important to consider when looking for a new machine?

I am a big fan of non-computerized machines mostly because of the easy and cheap maintenance. I can't imagine how annoying it would be to have your machine not work because of a computer glitch. All metal parts. Does it have the stitches you would like. How expensive are the attachments?

Do you have a dream machine? Yes, the exact machine I have with a free arm and some bigger automatic button hole parts. I would like to have a cabinet to mount her in so she doesn't fall off again. I would also like a carrying case for her. I would like to complete the set of monogram cams.

I suppose, if pressed, I would accept a high end Viking or Bernina and I could use a good serger.

No comments: