Wednesday, September 03, 2008

August Reading List


Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell - delightful as always. So sweet and funny.
Cousin Phyllis by Elizabeth Gaskell - short and very nice. Not a happy ending but an OK ending. The opposite of Hardy's gut wrenching enraging endings

Food Not Lawns by H.C. Flores - This book is a crazy hippie freak show. I do not shy away from radical ideas but this woman is a little nutty. I learned "When to risk arrest" and about kissing FRIENDS under buckets of water among other things. She doesn't just mention Humanure as an option she adamantly advocates it. I am sorry I draw the line at humanure. I will consider an outhouse if and when plumbing is not available. There are several times in the book where she suggest doing things at night or hiding them because they aren't really legal! Umm, Hello??? I will now have to double check every idea in the book before I implement it to make sure it is legal.

On the good side it was an easy read and had good instructions for the lay gardener on how to create good soil, recycle and collect water and create an edible environment. Plus I laughed a lot.

Currently Reading:
Middlemarch by George Eliot - this is a slow, plodding dragging book with a great story. I wish the author would TELL IT!

Up next:
John Adams by David McCullough - unabridged this time.
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Blue Earth, Green Shackles by Vaclav Klaus

No comments: