Sunday, September 14, 2008

Sabbath Leaves

Our Beautiful World: This morning I was amazed to learn about the philtrum. The philtrum is that little dip in your skin just above your lip. The Wikipedia article on the subject has this information:

"According to the Jewish Talmud (Niddah 30b), God sends an angel to each womb and teaches a baby all the wisdom that can be obtained. Just before the unborn baby comes out, the angel touches it between the upper lip and the nose and all that it has taught the baby is forgotten."

and this:

"Similarly, in other folksayings, it is said that an angel "shushes" the baby in the womb, to stop it from talking about heaven, or to forget. Other stories say that it is an indent left by the finger of God. Still more say that it is the spot where the angel put his finger to "shush" the child after having told it a secret."

I thought the stories were sweet.

Blessings: I enjoy being in the ward choir. I find it so fulfilling, fun and spiritual.
Striving: To organize all of my stuff so I can have fun a be productive this fall.

1 comment:

Jenni said...

that is so cool!
I always thought that little lip divot was kinda cute, but I never knew it was an angel's fingerprint. :)