Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I am a Mother Who Knows

This is a sampler that I made for our service auction a few weeks ago. I was flattered that there was a small bidding war over it and my decorating-ly gifted friend liked it enough to win it without knowing it was mine.
When I first heard Sister Beck's Conference address Mothers Who Know I just loved it. It was one of those talks that say "You are on the right track. Here are some other things to think about. I know you can do it because you are a woman of God and the mother of these special charges."
My neighbor called and asked if I had heard it and we talked about how much we loved it. To us (the homeschool converted) it was another in a long line of talks that confirmed our decision to homeschool. It went right along with our homeschool philosophy particularly Sister Beck's "Mothers who know do less." And TJED's "The Six Month No."

Several months later I was in Relief Society where this talk was the lesson matter when my friend whispered" I liked this talk a lot, but I know people who have a big problem with it."
I was stunned and a little disbelieving. I chalked it up to my friend having weird acquaintances and the truth hurting when you don't like to hear it. Then the lesson began and the teacher mentioned that a lot of people have had a hard time with this talk. I was amazed.
I still don't have an answer other than people don't like to be told when they aren't doing what is right. But I am still baffled and do not judge.

The bullet points of Sister Beck's Talk.
  • Mothers Who Know Bear Children.
  • Mothers Who Know Honor Sacred Ordinances and Covenants
  • Mothers Who Know Are Nurturers
  • Mothers Who Know Are Leaders
  • Mothers Who Know Are Teachers
  • Mothers Who Know Do Less
  • Mothers Who Know Stand Strong and Immovable

"Latter-day Saint women should be the very best in the world at upholding, nurturing, and protecting families. I have every confidence that our women will do this and will come to be known as mothers who 'knew.'"

I just want to say, "I am a mother who knows."


P.S. Might I suggest that you write "I am a Mother Who Knows." on a paper, or paint it on a board or stitch in on a scrap of fabric and hang it in your home? Perhaps in a particularly trying spot to reming you why you do this and who you are doing it for. Mine, of course will be above the sink full of dishes.

2 comments:

Erika said...

I believe I was the one with weird friends. :) I loved the talk as well! And I love your sampler too.

grandmawhitehouse said...

I'm a mother who knows her daughter is talented and needs a stitching sample of this. :)